Sunday, December 17, 2017

So Many Lessons From Laguna

Wow - what a year! I think everyone reading this will agree. Highs and lows, with everything in between. Endings that were needed, as well as fun, new beginnings. People entered and exited our lives. Laughing until it hurt, sobbing like there's no tomorrow. I think everyone I know experienced it all.

Approaching the end of 2017, I can honestly say, that, while incredibly challenging, it was a good year. I grew in ways I never could have imagined, and am glad I didn't know what was coming or I probably would have run the other way! But, because of those challenges, I am stronger and ready for a much more expansive future.

One of the biggest turning points was when my apartment flooded in February (see my earlier post March 2017 Post ). It really gave me the opportunity to literally clear out all of the old and start over. All of my stuff really was just stuff. I think about possessions very differently now, and will be forever grateful for learning what really is important, and that we absolutely can release long held attachments.

Another huge turning point was during my house/pet sitting stay in Sedona in September. It was an awesome opportunity to spend time in one of my favorite places. What I didn't realize was that it was also an incredible opportunity to be by myself in a completely different way. What? Don't you already live alone? Yes, but in the middle of family, friends and familiarity. This trip I hiked, ate and explored all on my own. The first part of the week I was lonely, and was starting a very nice pity party that had the potential to be huge. Then I had my AHA moment. 

I was sitting in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, surrounded by nature, and I was letting myself be sad? WTF?? Look where you are! Feel where you are! People would kill to trade places with you! Duh!! At that moment I learned the very big difference between being lonely versus being alone. I can enjoy anything, anywhere! It doesn't depend on anyone or anything else - just me! How liberating is that??!! Alone is strong and capable and fun! Of course, it can be more fun to share an experience with someone else, but good grief, look what you can enjoy on your own!

After not being able to travel much the past couple years, I was very fortunate this year to be able to take multiple vacations - 3 in Arizona, 1 in Hawaii, and 1 in North Carolina. All very different trips, but after finally being able to get away, it awakened something that had been sleeping inside. A wanting to get out and explore, see new things, and meet new people. Nothing wrong with the old ones, just time to add some new experiences.

My time in Laguna has been fantastic. My tiny apartment was the perfect nest and refuge next to the beach I love. I cannot ever express how appreciative I am for my "shoebox" by the beach. The ocean will always be part of me and bring me joy.

What most people may not realize or remember is that I am also a bit of a desert rat. While it was some time ago, I spent countless hours camping and landsailing on dry lake beds in the desert in the middle of nowhere. I have a strong connection to the desert and during my trips to Arizona, that desert rat was reawakened. I felt so good on those trips and could feel the desert calling me back.  At the same time, I was feeling like I was "complete" at my beach. Soooo.......

What most of you do not know (and I apologize for not telling very many people in advance, please forgive me) with my reawakened sense of adventure and love of the desert, I chose to leave my tiny home at the beach, as well as the job that had not been a good fit for many years, packed everything I own into my Honda Fit (you would be surprised at how much it holds) and moved to Arizona last week.

What??? You did what??? You left the beach??? Do you know how hot it gets in Arizona??? Are you nuts??????

Yes, I am probably nuts. And I am enjoying the hell out of this journey. I found a fabulous apartment near Scottsdale on the edge of the desert. I am surrounded by nature that I can experience just by stepping out on my patio or looking out of my windows.

Do I have some hurdles to get over? Of course. Will it all be puppies and rainbows? No. But I'm more ready for the challenge than I've ever been.

The Lesson: My life truly changed for the better in Laguna, and I will always be ever so grateful for the experiences. Those experiences now enable me to move on to even more.

So, as I now have moved on to my Arizona adventure, this blog (that has been neglected for a while) comes to a close.  As the stirrings of wanting to write again are being recharged - what shall my next blog be? A Dodson in the Desert? A Beach Girl Way Out of Water? Aha's from Arizona?  Let's see what develops....

Light  Love  Laughter

Lynette




My Laguna Shoebox apartment



When you get rid of what little furniture you have, 
everything you own fits in a Honda Fit


Final Laguna sunset for now....


When everything you own now only takes up
 a small area in your new apartment


New sunset view from my patio....






1 comment:

  1. You're a good desert rat. One of my favorites. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete